Hi there! I’m a Boston-based UX design (web + mobile), user research, and product strategy consultant who collaborates with companies to create engaging products and experiences, build processes for developing them, and bring design into their R&D teams.
Available for projects & quick evaluations, part-time engagements, and facilitating design sprints/workshops.
HOW I HELP TEAMS
- User research: Conducting user research projects to identify demographics/personas, MVPs, stories for pitches, test messaging, and address usability issues.
- Product management: Interim product/project management, triaging issues, prioritizing features, writing copy, documenting the roadmap, style guides, architecture, etc.
- Design: From new features, dashboards, and data visualizations to major redesigns or whole new products. My process involves user research, your team’s knowledge and feedback, analyzing similar products/features across industries, and basic principles of usability, marketing, and design.
- Moving KPIs: Tackling worrisome metrics trends like low conversion rates or high churn. Your stakeholders and I work together to identify causes, risks, and resources, and generate an actionable roadmap of solutions. (I’m also a fan of the Google Ventures Design Sprints.)
- Culture & Growth: Having been fortunate to work with some amazing teams, I am keenly aware of the importance of fostering a collaborative environment, team diversity, great managers, and a sense of humor. We work together to assess where your team is, where you want to be, and work together to get to there.
- Teaching: Besides giving workshops and working 1:1 with team-members, I teach at Startup Institute and hold office hours at Start Tank and MassChallenge. I’m also the author of O’Reilly Media, Usability Testing and Research: Smart Recruiting, Asking Better Questions, and Getting Useful Results, an introductory video course published with O’Reilly Media.
HOW I’M DIFFERENT FROM OTHER UX IN BOSTON:
While I’m comfortable working independently and owning what needs doing – working primarily with early-stage startups has also taught me how to fit into a tight budget when necessary and still hit deadlines, including focusing on minimum-cost research strategies, delegating time-consuming tasks back to your team, and designing with an awareness of your technical limitations.
I also train aspiring team-members or junior UX/PMs into their roles – another way to keep most of the work within your organization, while still having an ongoing access to guidance and experience.
SOME FOLKS I’VE WORKED WITH:
WHERE I HELP OUT:
With more than a decade of experience building awesome things in fast-paced environments and having a hand in all parts of the product lifecycle, I help businesses build kickass products with a blend of empathy, creativity, technical acumen, strategy, and humor.
When I’m not designing products, I’m painting and making masks, writing science fiction, and learning aerial circus performance.
Even if I can’t help you, I’ve usually got a person or two to recommend here in Boston. Feel free to ask, or check out these fine folks:
- Shannon Bator – Conducting research, building design teams, and optimizing processes
- Campus Insights – Conducting usability testing and market research on college-aged audiences
- Engaging Users – Research and design
- Hut-8 Labs – Scaling both architecture and dev teams
- Bitlancer – Database & cloud consulting
- #brandhack – Need branding help? THIS.
THIS IS A PICTURE OF PIRATECAT